31.8.11

The problem with the park today

There was a problem with the park today. The weather deceived me into thinking it was a lovely day and that fall was almost here. There was a faint breeze in the air as I stepped out of my house and the humidity had run away, possibly trailing hurricane Irene up the east coast. A faint smile spilled across my face as I buckled the children into the car, thinking to myself, "I love this time of year." I was grateful for the momentary relief and even asked at the Starbucks barista if pumpkin spiced lattes were back on the menu (they come back September 6th, in case you love them as much as I do). At the park we played in the cooler air and had a great time. Sure, the play ground equipment was wet, but the sun was hidden behind the clouds and we had the facility to ourselves. This was going to be a fantastic fall morning and I was thrilled!


Then things turned for the worse as we headed for a potty break. Little did I know that Florida had a cruel trick up it's sleeve as we entered the bathroom. Upon leaving the bathroom, I noticed my old enemy had reappeared: humidity. All of the sudden my shirt that had blown gloriously in the breeze began to stick to me. Little dots of perspiration started to show themselves through the fibers of the cotton and the temperature shifted into the hellish realms that we have been use to for the past 4 months. Right at the moment, two of my theatre friends showed up and I was drenched. My mascara was running under my eyes because of the beads of sweat cascading down my brow and my 20 month old daughter chose that moment to have me hold her.

Ugh and double ugh. My son's clothes were drenched from the wet playground equipment, but not his hair began to show signs of extreme sweating. "This can't be the end of August," I thought to myself. "Isn't September tomorrow? Isn't it time to decorate for fall? Apple picking? Pumpkins." Not here, my friends. Here in sunny Florida, we still must wear our bathing suits in public if we want to say cool.

No comments: