15.9.14

3 TIPS TO BOOST ENERGY // You can't stop acting.

The Acting Mom// 3 tips for boosting energy when you are tired www.theactingmom.com

The thing they don't tell you about acting is you don't stop.

There are times when you having a rough day. You are beyond exhausted and your brain is not allowing your mouth to form words. And forming words is kind of a big deal when you have lines to say to move the story forward.

On those days, if you worked a normal job, you might be able to quietly regain your energy and bring your A-game. But when your performance is based on your focus, energy and speech, there is no hiding your exhaustion. Everyone knows you are not on your game.

During a rehearsal for Mary Poppins I experienced that. I did jumping jacks. I stretched. I massaged my cheeks. But nothing I did worked. I stepped out on the stage and my mouth wouldn't move. I was dropping lines left and right and looking at my acting partners with confusion as to why they weren't saying their lines, all the while I was the one forgetting my lines. It was embarrassing how little control I had over my own body and mind.

Thankfully it was a rehearsal, but nothing could hide how wiped I was. I kept trying to rally and I struggled to make it to the end of the evening. After a good nights rest, I came to rehearsal the following evening with determination to be better.



Don't we all have those times in every day life? No matter what we try, we can't muster enough oomph to do what we need to do. Maybe we are physically tired or received negative remarks or a project isn't going as planned, but whatever it is a roadblock has been created between us and the finish line. 

What do you do to bring it everything you've got, because you know that failure isn't an option?



Here are my suggestions to bring energy back.

1. Eat fresh produce. Grab an apple, carrots, or whatever plant-grown item suites your fancy. Giving your body nutrients will only have positive effects and the act of chewing will help to awaken you.

2. Get physical. Stretch your neck, arms, back or anything you can move. Increasing circulation will help to stimulate your brain that you aren't done yet.

3. Be silly. I'm known for being a bit of a goof ball at rehearsals and I do it to keep myself from disengaging in the work and remind my brain that I'm not allowed to check out. Make silly faces or tell a joke to keep that brain focused on the task at hand.


What are YOUR methods for bringing focus?


p.s. Check out my 4 tips for parenting well and my suggestions for thrift store shopping.

Signature
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

A Taste for Travel said...

I have't tried suggestion #3 but can definitely vouch for #1 and #2 on your list. Exercise and eating fresh produce are definitely energy boosters!

Jessica David said...

I totally agree with #1!! =) Pinned and shared.

Sherry Clitheroe (writing as Abigail Leigh Reed) said...

I love all three of these suggestions! Tweeted :)

~Lorelai
Life With Lorelai

Unknown said...

A Taste for Travel- so have you tried it yet?

Unknown said...

Jessica David, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Lorelai, thanks for tweeting!