11.8.14

Wife of a school teacher

Wife of a school teacher via The Acting Mom


Being married to a school teacher has it's perks.


Summer breaks. 
Weekends and postal holidays off. 
Freshly sharpened pencils.


But at the same time, being married to a school teacher means I feel like I haven't grown up!

As fall approaches, I feel the anxiety of starting a new semester.


Did I pick the right coarse load?
Is there time for a bathroom break before 3rd period?
Will any friends share my lunch period?


And then I remember: I graduated from high school 14 years ago! 


Seriously though, it is pretty cool to get to see my husband the entire summer, all Thanksgiving week and the two weeks surrounding Christmas. You won't hear me complaining about spring break or Craig never working on the weekend. Since he is my best friend, it is amazing to have him around all the time. And what a blast for our kids to get to have their dad in their lives on a consistent and frequent basis. We know this can't happen for every family situation, so we cherish what we have.

Twelve years of public education and four years at university, I became accustomed to fresh beginnings in the fall and the lazy days of June, July and August. Marrying a school teacher means I get to enjoy these same things year after year without the stress to achieve and perform academically. Winning!


Today marks the new school year for my husband, and me by default. January isn't our time for New Year Resolutions, it's now, the beginning on the new school year. As I reflect on last year and look forward to the one that lies ahead, I am optimistic and excited about what is in store.

Last year held trying to win a trip to Rwanda, the 1 year anniversary of our adoption, picking up an old man on the side of the road and a complete lack of blogging. Next year, I hope to get back in shape, blog more, downsize our possessions by half, focus on personal Bible study, and give more talks on healthy eating on a budget. Who knows if this is possible or what will actually take place this next year, but I'm anxious to see where it takes me and my family.

And I'm thankful there won't be any exams at the end of it!

No comments: