15.5.14

Winning a trip to Rwanda!

If you follow me on Instagram, you will see my many hashtags about #fairtrade and #ethicalfashion. Basically, if I take a selfie, I'm wearing something that was made far across the world by a fair trade artisan. I'm kind of obsessed with it. And that has me following a lot of other people and companies that share my passion.

Well, all of that excitement has lined up and I have entered a contest (something I rarely do because the chances of winning are non-existent but I couldn't help myself because I really, really, really, want to go and Craig said "Go for it!" so why the heck not?!?!) to win a trip with Noonday Collection and International Justice Mission to Rwanda July 11th-22nd. Crazy, right? But I don't care! I'm going to live a life of whimsy and just try my little heart out.



Oh, and did I mention that Jenn Hatmaker and  

Vote by clicking HERE

I submitted an essay as to why I thought they should select me. Here is what I said:


"I received my first fair-trade item as a Christmas gift in 2004, an intricate red and orange pashmina, woven by women rescued from sex trafficking in India. It was my first encounter with the concept of teaching a trade to give someone a better life. I fell in love with it. Fast-forward ten years and my closet and jewelry box are filled with items made by artisans around the world.


Adoption and my recent trip to Uganda have made me more enthusiastic about using my voice, platform, and dollar to help other mothers support their families and children. As a mother to two internationally adopted kids myself, I can’t help but wonder if their birth mothers had been given an opportunity to work for a company like Noonday, how their story would be different. Every woman deserves the right to take care of her family, whether that is through making jewelry in Vietnam or becoming a Noonday ambassador.



Having been to Uganda as part of our international adoption process, I became acutely aware of what a great difference one company can make through ethical practices. While adopting, I was also able to deliver supplies from the states to the Sseko Design Uganda headquarters and visit the One Mango Tree workshop, both companies dedicated to empowering women through skill training and fair wages. After hugging the necks of the women who made the sandals and dresses I already loved, I could never look at a garment again without considering the person who made it, the family they supported and the community they impacted. Meeting these artisans impassioned me about changing the world through my purchasing power.


Every purchase I make casts a vote on how I want the world to treat others.



Going to Rwanda would be a whirlwind adventure to learn more about Noonday and IJM. Advocating for fair-trade fashion is a life-style choice that I share with all who listen. Traveling with the story team would be a wonderful opportunity to involve my community with an organization that is making world changes attainable."


So there you have it! Want to help me get there? Then I need you to vote every day between now and May 28th by clicking here, scrolling on the inside scroll bar to the bottom, and clicking the blue "VOTE" button. Will you help me? The chance is one in a million, but why not try, right? I'm dreaming and hoping you will come along with me!

No comments: