13.8.14

The Acting Mom jumps back into acting!


I've been acting since last October and I didn't even blog about it!

Yep. That thing that has contributed part of the blog title. Me, acting. How could I not have blogged about it? We all know the answer to that, so I won't go there. ANYWAY! The last thing I did was 2 years ago, so you probably forgot that I did anything besides adopt and travel to Africa, huh?

Since October I have been involved in two AMAZING productions with my favorite community theatre, and just started on a new one last week! I've regained a little of what makes me me, instead of just a living-on-the-edge-crazy mom. I never want to loose myself to my job, even if it is a truly wonderful and enriching job like parenting. There is just something about becoming a different person for a show that helps me remember who I am with such clarity. If acting isn't your thing, then that probably sounded crazy. I'm OK with that. We artistic types have a language all to ourselves.

Photo Credit/Thom Altman

The first production was "The Miracle Worker" by William Gibson. What a powerful and well crafted piece of theatre! If you have the chance to see any production of it, GO! I am still gnawing on that show after 2 months of rehearsal and 15 performances in December. The best part was building a true family with our very intimate cast. With no music or set changes or huge dance numbers, we relied on one another to portray the vivid life of Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan and the entire Keller family.

Having adopted two boys that came from rough pasts, I had a very genuine knowledge base to bring to the role of Kate Keller, Helen Keller's mother. Through the rehearsal process I was even able to work through some of the emotional trauma that adopting has brought to my own life and views of parenting. It was a truly healing process and an amazing show as my first foray into acting after adding two more children. (And do you see that lovely young lady playing Helen? She is going to be my daughter again in Mary Poppins!)

Photo Credit/Thom Altman



Even while "The Miracle Worker" was going on, auditions were being held for "Les Miserable." If you have read my blog, or at least this post, you know that playing Fantine is a dream of mine. With Craig encouraging me to go, I auditioned and was cast as Fantine. I was pinching myself as I read the cast list. Talk about a stellar group! And I was one of them.

Photo Credit/Thom Altman

Almost every show we performed was sold out and that is a testimony to Norm Small and the reputation of Theatre Winter Haven. All together I died 22 times for an audience in a white hospital gown and hacked blonde wig in France. And I loved it! Being apart of such an iconic musical to the theatre canon was a once in a life time experience, honestly and truly. Everyone in the cast, crew and production staff rose to the challenge of telling the moving story of this group of people to all who came to see. We all felt as if we were apart of something much bigger than ourselves or Theatre Winter Haven.

Photo Credit/Thom Altman

What happens after I died in the first 40 minutes of the three hour show, you ask? I become weapons master along with Eponine! No, seriously. I put on tech blacks and handed out rifles, muskets, swords, and blank ammunition to the men you fought at the barricade. Being a little afraid of guns, I was excited for the opportunity to conquer this fear by learning about proper gun handling. After six weeks working with guns, I can't say I am more comfortable but I am less afraid. Baby steps. So who wants to take me to a gun range?




And now, I'm on to a magical production of a childhood favorite, "Mary Poppins." Monday night was our first read/sing thru and you won't want to miss it! I am especially excited about this show because it will be the first one my kids ever attend. They've seen me act and sing around the house, but never on the stage. Asher and Alethea adore the film with Julie Andrews and the book by P.L. Travers and I know they will fall in love with the stage production. Every time I begin a new production, it feels like I'm putting on an old glove. It just fits. Theatre and me were made for each other.


Signature
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Barb V said...

I'm sooo happy to find your blog. A kindred spirit!!!