30.8.11

The roles I want to play

The time has come for some theatre talk. I have the privilege of working at a local community theatre called Theatre Winter Haven with a group of fabulous friends for the past couple of years. Only five mainstage and five readers theatres shows into my time there, and I feel like I have found a home. The professionalism is outstanding, but there is a definite sense of community that can not be manufactured. I truly enjoy my time there and have made it my theatre home during this season of my life.

I hung out with some of those theatre friends the other night for a birthday celebration and our monthly movie night. We watched "Fiddler on the Roof," an all time favorite musical film of mine and it made me think about the roles I've always wanted to play. In that movie, the middle daughter who sings the famous song "Matchmaker" song, sings a gorgeous ballad called "Far from the Home I Love". Can I just say that I have wanted to sing that song for years? Unfortunately, that role will never be mine. I have outgrown it and that is a hard reality. Some of my older theatre friends have said that can be one of the hardest realities of working in the theatre: that your dream role isn't attainable because you have outgrown it.

Instead of dwelling on the negative, I would rather share with you my other dream roles that are still attainable and some of them I have already done.

1. Maria in "Sound of Music"
          -In the spring of this year, I performed 19 sold out performances as her! What a dream come true!



2. Abigail Williams in "The Crucible"
          -The inner world of Abigail would present a fabulous challenge for any actress. I need to play this role quickly, because I am already looking pretty old to play this part.

3. Maggie in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"
          -Of all the parts in Tennessee Williams repertoire, I think this one would be the most interesting for me because of the struggle she has in her marriage. That struggle is so far removed from my personal life, that it would be a great challenge to inhabit this character.

4. Antigone in "Antigone"
          -I had the privilege of playing this role in college in a black box theatre.


5. Fantine in "Les Miserables"
          -This show holds a special place, because it was the first show Craig saw, loved and said he understood why I loved theatre. And it will be the only show Craig will actually come and audition with me!

6. Aldonza in "Man of La Mancha"
          -The story of hope and perseverance inspires me in this show. The way that Don Quixote views Aldonza is such a beautiful picture of how Christ views us. The symbolism touches my heart deeply.

7. Victoria in "Victor/Victoria"
          -A goal of mine is to play every Julie Andrews part, but if I don't achieve that, I at least want to play this role of hers. (The other roles I have played of hers is Guenevere in "Camelot," pictured below, and Maria in "Sound of Music.")




8. Baker's Wife in "Into the Woods"
          -I have already played this role in college, but I am dying to do it again! It has been the only role I would be willing to repeat... so far.


9. Louise in "Gypsy"
          -The perfect opportunity to audition for this role came up, but I would be 6 months pregnant with my second at the last performance. Alas, I was not able to do it, but maybe again in the next couple of years.
  
10. Nellie Forbush in "South Pacific"
          -I was in the ensemble of this show in high school, but would love to do it again to play the lead role.

I know there are many more roles I will play in the years to come, but these are my top dream roles. I'm so glad that I have had the opportunity to play several of these roles already and to have been my all time dream role of Maria in "Sound of Music." Dreams do come true in the theatre world, but some of the dreams will have to remain what they are as the years tick by.


Signature
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Joy B. said...

Sounds ambitious, but I know you can achieve your dreams. And can I say, I love Gypsy. I just watched the Bette Midler version the other day on Netflix :-)