14.4.15

All actors are narcissistic.

We have to be. There has to be something within the actor that compels them to think that they are so fabulous, so fantastic, so amazing that they continue to attend audition after audition, facing rejection after rejection without giving up. There can be no other explanation except that an actor is narcissistic.



Well, maybe the full definition doesn't directly apply to actors exactly, but there is something to this. Have you ever talked to an actor? Think about it.



That picture above? Taken at one of four auditions I had this week. See what I'm doing? Standing in line waiting. Most of my time as an actress is spent waiting to audition. Waiting to prove that I am perfect for the job. Waiting to show that I have what it takes to make their production/ film/ commercial amazing and profitable. It isn't as glamorous as everything thinks. It's really just a lot of waiting.

To give you an idea of the tenacity it takes to pursue acting professionally, I'll give you a small glimpse into my foray back into acting professionally after a 6 year break.

-----------
8 agents contact
2 rejection emails
5 never responded
1 agent interview and signed
----------
28 Christian production companies contacted
4 emails back
24 never responded
0 jobs as a result
-----------
34 emails submitted for various film/theatre projects
5 auditions
1 pending theatre casting
0 film castings
-----------


And this has just been in the past two months. Those don't include the auditions/work through my agent. The above list is just my personal pursuit of advancing my career. That is a lot of rejection in just 2 months! I have theatre auditions lined up for the next couple of months, but I know it will be more of the same. Interviews and rejections. The life of an actor!


Do I think I'm talented? Yes.
Do I think I should get the job? Yes.
And that's why I keep doing it.



The majority of my career as an actress will be interviewing for jobs I'll never get. It's a strange world, but it's what makes my heart sing. Well, not the brush-off part. That part can kick you while your down if you aren't careful. But the actually doing what I love part is pretty amazing. Story telling is my passion and I can't wait for the opportunity to do that with a like-minded group of artist.

So, I keep knocking at doors, asking if I can go play with them and create something great.

Here's to knocking. Do you want to go play?



p.s. I'm in a production of Footloose, playing Vi Moore. You can buy tickets here.


Signature
Bookmark and Share

No comments: