29.3.12

I have the wrong wedding date.

A very funny thing happened Monday as I was finishing up our homestudy paperwork and sending in my passport for renewal. I discovered that all these years, I have been celebrating the wrong wedding date. I know that this might seem odd to a lot of you. A girl should know when she got married, right? Apparently, I do not.


Let me explain myself. I thought that I got married to my best friend and fabulous husband, Craig on July 23, 2004. It was a Friday evening wedding in the hottest hot of the summer. Sometimes I think we were married on the 24th of July, because we did debate back and forth about a Friday wedding versus a Saturday wedding. But this is not the issue I discovered today.

Our wedding video was made by a good friend of ours, Christian. {SIDE NOTE: Christian is doing an awesome series on YouTube called "Street Food" about local food in China and you should totally check it out.} When he gave us our video, he let us know that he put the wrong year on it. It would have been a HUGE pain to go back and switch it, since he had already rendered everything and spent HOURS watching the documentary style footage we had filmed for weeks leading up to the big day. The date on the wedding video states we were married July 23, 2003. That would be 1 year earlier then the actual date. But this is also not the issue I discovered today about my wedding date.


The thing I discovered to today was a new tidbit I did not know about my own wedding date. Are you ready for it? I discovered that I actually DIDN'T get married on July 23, 2004. It was pretty shocking, let me tell you. As I was about to stuff the certified copy of my marriage license into the envelop to mail away with my passport, I happened to look down at the date I got married. It stated that I was married on June 23, 2004. June? What? I was not a June bride? The Office of Vital Statistics got it wrong. I pick up the phone and called. No answer. I try again, this time retrieving my original marriage license. I read over it and discover something.


My pastor wrote down the wrong date! And my maid of honor and Craig's best man signed it, with the wrong date! And the notary public notarized it, with the wrong date! And forever and ever amen, we legally were married on the wrong date! This is craziness!!!!

After 7 years of marriage, I have just discovered that while I thought I was married on July 23, 2004, according to the state of Florida, I was actually married in June 23, 2004. Wow. It was a little shocking to realize this mistake that has been in writing for 7 years. I laughed and laughed when I saw it, after I got over my shock. What can you do? Enjoy life and laugh about the little bumps along the way.

So, I guess Craig and I can now start celebrating two anniversaries each year!

1 comment:

Joy B. said...

Too funny. You would think that far into the month that there wouldn't be any confusion about the date. I agree, though, that this mistake merits two celebrations :-) (p.s. July 24th would have been a great day to be married, too!)