15.2.12

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

I watched my first documentary back in 2008 and I have been watching them ever since. You might say I am a bit of a documentary junky. The first one I watched was "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price." It was shocking. Sure, I had heard people talk about how Wal-Mart beat out the local competition, but I had no idea the extent to which the company deliberately denied the basic needs of others to make money. Sure, I was aware of this reality, as I am sure you are, on some level but watching this film opened my eyes to just what that entailed.



Blog post from personal blog on 10/6/08
"I watched this documentary today about the biggest retailer in the world: Wal-Mart. I was dumbfounded at the way this company functions and treats all of their workers. Managers are instructed to forge time cards to keep payroll down, Chinese labors are threatened to lie about the conditions they work in or risk losing their job, and the average employee makes a wage that is under the national poverty line. There are too many wrongs to list here.

I feel naive and foolish for supporting this company my entire adult life. Prices are cheap, but I am not willing to continue to support a company that lives out so many of the things I do not believe in. Yes, all companies will fail, and there will be problems and moral issues with any place I shop, but I can no longer support Wal-Mart when I now know what I know.


Here is the official website for the movie, click here.

If you have Netflix, the documentary is available on instant watch and I encourage you to educate yourself about this. This movie was made in 2005, but new statistics are included on their website.

I am taking a small stand by supporting local stores and more reputable companies. Who will join me?"


So there you have it. My first thoughts after watching my first documentary back in 2008. We have not shopped at Wal-Mart for over four years and we do not miss it. I have learned a lot more since then and am excited to share with you what we have learned and hope you will watch a couple of these documentaries for yourself.

1 comment:

Making of a Masterpiece said...

I've known about your "Walmart Boycott" for some time and always wondered what set it off for you. This is so crazy because my husband and I just watched this same documentary a couple of weeks ago and have also vowed to stopped shopping at Walmart. I've never really liked the atmosphere in Walmart but always went there because it was cheaper (even though I am a diehard Publix fan). But, like you, we can longer nonchalantly support a corporation that knowingly treats their employees in a way that I say is inhumane. So, I will coupon and we will find ways to cut costs at Publix for groceries and we will shop elsewhere for anything else we need. Thanks for sharing.