10.9.12

Packing for a Month

Sometime in the next couple of months, we will be traveling to Uganda to go to court with the intention of adopting our two little boys. As the time grows closer, we are getting more and more excited! Because of how the courts work there and all the paperwork we will need, we will be in country for a month or more. That is a long time to be away from our bio kids and a lot of packing that needs to be done!

How do you go about packing everything you, your husband and two babies who you don't really know their sizes in clothing or what kind of formula they like or the type of bottles they prefer or anything about them for an entire month? Oh, and did I mention we have to take it all, beds included, on a plane with us? To say it is a little daunting would be an understatement!

Our agency has given us a travel guide with suggestions of what to pack, but what I would really want is for someone to come and pack it all for me. Wouldn't that be amazing? In my fantasy world, the person would have come from the future and would know all of the things I needed while in Uganda and they would pack accordingly. They would know how many times Craig and I would get pooped or spit-up on in a single day and how many blow-outs the boys would have, so we would have enough clothing to compensate for these inevitable occurrences. They would also have amazing skills to pack everything very tightly, so no space is wasted. Don't you love hearing my day dream?

The reality is though, that I have started to collect my clothes for packing. The criteria for my clothes are dresses, skirts below the knee and modest tops that don't show any cleavage. Oh! And it is sub-Sahara Africa, so it is hot. I thought I would have plenty of clothing options from my own wardrobe because I wear dresses, skirts and modest tops all the time. As I was looking through my closet, I discovered that most of my dresses show cleavage AND they are above the knee. Modest tops are no problem for me, but I headed to Old Navy on a tip from a friend to score some bargain deals to complete my Ugandan wardrobe.

Here is what I am taking so far:

Outfit for court

Maxi dress with accessories

3 skirts

5 shirts

Sun hat, crocs and Ugandan beads

I am still searching for one or two more maxi dresses as well as a couple more tops and skirts, but other then that I feel great about what I am bringing. Any other advice from other people who have traveled to Uganda is very much appreciated. I'll let you know when I get back from Uganda if I packed enough...

1 comment:

Misty said...

Hi!

I've never read your blog before, but congratulations on a soon court date!!! We've been waiting for referral for 9 months now, hopefully it's any day now.

I went to Uganda this summer on a mission trip (early July for 10 days). You are packing well, I would definitely bring a couple of dollar pairs of flip flops. Your shoes get very dirty. I bought a couple of pairs of flip flops there, that are my absolute favorite to wear now.

Also, long dresses/skirts are good, but they are also hot. I saw (and my mission team leader who has been there 6 times) wore knee length dresses. I did on the last day there, or even with short leggings underneath, and it was SOO much cooler. I was staying at a place that had fans at night, and that was wonderful, but it wasn't extremely hot during the day. There was always a nice breeze. I'd love to chat more if you have more questions. Again, congrats!