19.1.12

Pallet Deconstruction

Last night, Craig attempted to deconstruct pallets with the tools we have.


Let me backtrack. This weekend we are hosting an outdoor shower for my brother and sister-in-law. I love to entertain, so I am really looking forward to it. It has allowed me to use lots of the ideas I have found on Pinterest, so I am a happy girl. Ben and Drew would best be described as hipsters. Not completely, but that is the best category they fit into. Have you ever seen Portlandia? That would give you a caricature sketch of them. They aren't that extreme, but anything vintage, retro and alternative and they are in. It has been fun to meld their style with mine and thus the pallets come in. (And you better believe I will be sharing MANY detailed pictures from their shower! I have made almost all the decorations, so I will be ready to brag.)


Pallets are very "in" in home decor and entertaining. They are also very vintage and functional for seating. While running for the first time after the marathon, we discovered five pallets being discarded. Score! Craig tied them to the top of our car and brought them back to the house. I really wish I had taken a picture of it, but alas! I didn't. Enjoy this silly picture of the kids looking at the patio taken over with pallets instead!


On our patio, because of the rain, Craig began to deconstruct the pallets with a jig saw (which broke), a hacksaw (which also broke), a crow bar and hammer (and yep, the hammer broke). It was a very frustrating process for him since we really don't have the tools needed for this kind of project. I admire his determination as he went to the store to purchase another hammer and continue the daunting task of deconstructing all of those pallets. And do you know what is amazing? He didn't complain once about how we don't have any tools! He didn't take this opportunity to whine about the fact that as a homeowner, he didn't have the basic instruments needed to complete simple household tasks. Instead, he just kept on working, little by little, until it was too late to be hammering. That is my husband. I admire his determination and attitude through the whole evening last night.


Thanks, Craig for working so hard to make my Pinterest visions a reality! I'll write another post about what was actually made with these pallets, when the shower is over.

1 comment:

Jeff Banks said...

Wow. I am amazed you were able to do that. Those pallets are made to hold up to 5000 pounds or more. Most pallets are recycled and fixed up. To see discarded pallets means they have been around the block a few times. Good Luck with it. It looks like a fun project except the whole work thing ;)